So, in my full review of the Abbyshot 7b frock, I mentioned that the Abbyshot fabric is a near perfect match for the backside of the W. Bill cashmere, which I found very strange as clearly a significant amount of time and effort were put into matching it back to a swatch of the real deal.
Well, I was recently able to revisit this issue. I intend on modifying my Abbyshot 7b to make it both fit me better and be more accurate to the screen used pattern, which is a pretty standard frock coat. To this end, me and two of my cosplayer friends decided to go in together to buy a second Abbyshot coat in an XXL, the largest size they sell, so that the extra fabric can be utilized to reconstruct various panels and correct the inaccuracies in the pattern. When the XXL arrived, we promptly popped all the seams and laid the fabric panels out to see what we had to work with. I took the opportunity to take a look at the backside of the Abbyshot fabric, and guess what I discovered?
The fabric. Is. Practically. Flawless. Even the grid spacing has magically fixed itself. The only two things not perfect about it is that the Abbyshot fabric is a wool/cashmere blend (80%/20% respectively) and the Abbeyshot has been woven from slightly thinner yarn, and again the twill doesn’t show up on the Abbyshot fabric the way it does on the cashmere. Also of note is that the flecks are still not quite bright enough. Other than that, the fabric is literally flawless.
Somebody at Abbyshot decided to tailor the coats inside-out. EDIT: I was actually able to speak with Abbyshot directly about this after writing this post, the results of which can be read here.
I’m not going to be able to mod my coat before Gallifrey One this year, so I have some time before I need to get my mods straightened out. My tailor friends have told me repeatedly that attempting to flip the fabric inside out and retailor it with the correct side out would take too many coats and too much time to really be worth it, but I’m not convinced yet.
We’ll see what happens…